I believe economic development should be a factor in all of our decisions, especially when it comes to affordable housing. Businesses hesitate to come to Bellingham, our local businesses hesitate to grow in Bellingham, and folks lack upward mobility options in Bellingham--the shortage of affordable housing is a primary reason for this. Other candidates talk about bringing jobs here that can afford the housing we have. I bring a new perspective and solutions.
With me as your Mayor, we will create the housing that working people can afford in every corner of Bellingham. Our community and environment benefit when teachers, nurses, electricians, bike mechanics, and caregivers can afford to live where they work. By showing that we can solve difficult and complex problems, we will instill confidence in our current and future businesses that Bellingham is a thriving and resourceful community.
I have been working with community partners and other jurisdictions to build a robust economy that is unique to Bellingham. We have tremendous economic opportunity, and we must make progress on the housing piece so we can realize that economic potential.
Getting things done:
Economic development opportunities that are unique to Bellingham.
- April has served on the Bellingham International Airport Advisory Committee of the Port of Bellingham for 6 years. She convened a meeting of partners in higher and secondary education, aviation industries and port to begin developing a plan for a workforce pipeline in aviation. She is working with the port to reconvene the group, including our State Representative in an effort to find a path forward in developing a dual enrollment program between secondary and higher education in aviation technology. We have the building blocks, we just need a leader like April get us there.
- April supported the Airport Master Plan update that plans for radar facilities, a transfer campus to capitalize on e-commerce opportunities, and an innovation campus. We have a coveted international airport designation, surrounded by vacant land. We will be sensitive to the wetlands and environment and provide the infrastructure our businesses will need.
- As your Mayor, April will partner with Recreation Northwest to support economic development strategies that will connect, protect and grow the outdoor recreation industry in Bellingham/Whatcom County while keeping these industries close to housing and recreation opportunities.
- April supports finding ways to increase tourism during off season times. She will work with the lodging and tourism industry to support a multi-use indoor sports facility.
- We have amazing beauty all around us, and have invested a tremendous amount of resources to access it, create more open spaces, and expand recreation opportunities. These lands are necessary and expensive to maintain. April will work with our outdoor recreation partners, finding ways to support each other in our efforts, build more opportunities for folks who live here, and attract more folks to spend money here.